The “Fore” Year Degree

 Shhh, hear that whirring sound? It’s not the cicadas…it’s the sound of the spinning blades of helicopter parents as we begin to worry about our babies graduating from college: How will they find those perfect first jobs during a pandemic?

It’s going to be okay, I promise.

My son is graduating from college, and he just landed his first job. After four years of studying, he will collect his business degree, move back home, and caddy at a local golf course. I could not be prouder.

It’s spring—graduation season—the time when stories circulate of those college graduates landing great jobs with big salaries. Making 70K as an accountant for a Fortune 500 company is a sweet deal if you are passionate about crunching numbers. But what about new graduates who aren’t yet sure what they want to do? For many, the best way to pair skills and interests with a career isn’t as clear cut. How important is that first job after graduation? It’s important, but maybe not for the reasons you think. Here are five ways parents can be supportive as the newest crop of graduates begins their job hunt:

Be Optimistic

Securing the first job after college can be challenging at any time, but the coronavirus pandemic has had a significant impact on businesses who may be hiring. Many small businesses have closed or downsized employees. More employees are working from home, and the unemployment rate in the U.S. climbed to almost 15% last year. However, the outlook for this year’s graduates is improving. According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the unemployment rate has been steadily decreasing since spring of 2020 and now hovers around 6%. This year’s graduates can be optimistic about finding a job, which is good news. And whatever it may be, that first job holds many opportunities to learn valuable skills, to develop a positive work ethic, and to meet people.

Value Soft Skills

Gina Schaefer is now the owner and CEO of A Few Cool Hardware Stores, where she oversees the operations of 13 hardware stores and manages 250 employees, thousands of customers, and thousands of products. Her first job out of college? Waiting tables.

Waiting tables helped me hone the patience and communication skills I need to deal with an array of employee and customer issues.  I learned how to diffuse anger or frustration, make people laugh, make small talk and listen to details.” Schaefer says many of the skills of her first job were easily transferrable to other professions. “Waiting tables is a master’s degree in time management, multi-tasking and people skills. If you’re paying attention in this role, you can learn all of these skills and more—which should carry through to any profession you ultimately choose.” Wherever you work, use your first job as an opportunity to interact with a variety of personalities. Learning to collaborate and think critically in the work place are valuable skills in any profession.

Support Their Passions

As graduation day approached, I felt it was part of my duty as a mom to have a little chat with my son about his future. “Business is such a broad major,” I said. “What are you looking for in a dream job?” I wanted him to narrow his focus by identifying strengths and interests.

“Well, I’m outgoing and I love working with people,” he started. “And I can’t see myself stuck behind a desk all day. If it was something sports related, that would be a bonus.” With these thoughts in mind, he started making some calls and was able to find a caddying position that was a good fit for his personality and skills. “I love my job,” he recently exclaimed. “I’m excited to get up and go to work in the mornings.”

Encourage Networking

Whether you are meeting business contacts, lifetime friends, or a spouse, people often remember the connections they made at their first job. Often, the intangible benefits of employment reach far beyond the paychecks.

Schaefer remembers fondly the relationships she formed at her first job. “One of my first waitressing jobs was for Andy Shallal, owner of the famous Busboys and Poets. We’re friends now and consider ourselves peers, but he likes to tell people he taught me everything I know from waiting tables at one of his previous restaurants,” Schaefer says with a laugh.

Be Patient

That first job probably won’t last forever. Your babies will listen and learn, and then use the experience to look for the next job. In her book Becoming, Michelle Obama writes, “Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child—What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.” The first job after graduation doesn’t have to be the start of a lifelong career. In fact, the average adult has 12 jobs in a lifetime.

My own first job after graduation was temping as a secretary because my mom insisted that I do something with my English degree. I soon learned the cubicle life was not for me, but I did enjoy flirting with the handsome guy down the hall. Blue eyes, loved to make me laugh. And still does. There’s more to a first job than a big salary.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Pants and Sequined Skirts

My Baby Moved to Baltimore

Chicken Nuggets and a Nap