Bragging Rights

 

Dear Katherine,

Do you mind if I brag a little? Forgive me, I’m your mom. I know, bragging gets a bad rap. We’re often encouraged to be humble—self-depreciating, even—about our accomplishments. But I can’t help it; you’re amazing. This weekend, I watched you walk across the stage to receive your diploma and I am incredibly proud of your achievement. I mean, those were high-heeled sandals, and you didn’t even trip once!

The diploma you hold in your hands lists an impressive accomplishment: you graduated summa cum laude from The College of William & Mary with a double major in Psychology and Kinesiology. Wow! It says more, but it’s written in Latin, and I can’t read it.

Here’s what I’m guessing the diploma doesn’t list: four years of experiences that led to this moment. The classes, the studying, and the stress, sure. But also, how you learned to swing dance. The quilt you sewed for your sorority sister. Being the RA with the most creative bulletin boards. Surviving the loneliness of being quarantined during the pandemic. Weekend trips to the beach with friends. Learning to play the guitar. Opportunities to study abroad expanded your memories across the globe: That time you saw Michelangelo’s David in Florence. That time you threw up on the bus in Dublin with food poisoning after eating a rotten oyster. This diploma represents the culmination of four years of successes, failures, challenges, and laughter. That time you ran your first half marathon. That time you wrecked your bike and had to get seven stitches. In addition to taking classes, you worked. You completed two different summer research projects as a Monroe Scholar with the goal of improving access to mental health care. From folding the twins’ laundry when you nannied, to folding pizza boxes for your internship with WALK, all those moments make me so proud of you.

When I was helping you pack, I found a quote you had hung on your wall that read, “The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine.” While I celebrate this tremendous achievement of your graduation with a weekend of ceremony, I also recognize the thousands of small moments and decisions that led you to being the thoughtful, intelligent, caring person you are today.

In the fall, you’ll move to Ann Arbor to pursue your MSW from the University of Michigan. I feel confident that you will make a positive difference in the field of social work. Until then, you make a positive difference in my life every single day. I’m proud to call you my daughter and I love you. 

Congratulations, Katherine!

Love, Mom



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Pants and Sequined Skirts

My Baby Moved to Baltimore

Chicken Nuggets and a Nap