Swiss Cheese and Cake

 An occasional feature where Allison debunks what “they” say to offer her own advice:


Allison’s tip of the week: Go to the grocery store when you’re hungry.

I know. This goes against conventional wisdom. The more common advice is to avoid the grocery store when you are hungry. I disagree. I can think of a bunch of places you shouldn’t go when you are hungry. Like, on a job interview. It would be distracting and embarrassing if your stomach started rumbling when you are trying to explain how organized you are. Or running a marathon. Certainly not a smart choice to try to conquer 26.2 miles on an empty stomach. But the grocery store? A place that sells food seems like a perfectly responsible place to go when you are hungry.

I understand—in theory—why “they” say grocery shopping while hungry is a bad idea. In theory, you have your well-thought-out-plans, menus, and a list of ingredients. Then, distracted by your hunger (cue ominous music: dun, dun, dun), you might be tempted to throw spur of the moment purchases in the cart. Later, you’ll be like: “How did this pint of Ben and Jerry’s end up in my cart? Oh the horror!” And you’ll open your mouth in disbelief and slap your hands against your cheeks like the kid from Home Alone.

Here’s why I think this theory is full of more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese: when you are hungry, you know what you are in the mood for. You grab stuff you can eat quickly and you eat it. This may be a better budgeting decision, honestly. You don’t waste time buying things like arugula for the salad recipe that looks amazing, but that you don’t ever get around to preparing. You don’t waste time feeling guilty that you didn’t cook, you don’t waste time planning menus, and you definitely don’t waste time washing the stench of rotten arugula juice from the bottom of your vegetable drawer.

Mmmmm, did someone say Swiss cheese?

I’ve learned that when it comes to planning, my eyes are bigger than my stomach. When I am drawn to recipes with 17 different ingredients, I remind myself that I don’t want to spend my Sunday afternoon food prepping a week’s worth of lunches. When I look with envy at the cute little Bento boxes in someone’s Instagram feed, I remind myself that when I eat Triscuits straight from the box, I avoid washing any dishes.

Here’s what landed in my cart for lunches last week: a box of crackers, a package of pre-sliced cheese squares, a bag of apples, some baby carrots & hummus. I also threw in a bag of almonds, and, in case of emergencies, some peanut butter cups and a Diet Coke. Protein, vegetable, fruit, dairy, carbs, sugar, caffeine. I hit all seven food groups.

I ate well the first part of the week. Then by Friday, I was out of cheese and I couldn’t stand the sight of one more carrot. My lunch consisted of 12 peanut butter cups and a Diet Coke. I know. Not the healthiest meal.

Point: If I went to the grocery store with my belly full of self-control, resolve, and good intentions, I never would have put those peanut butter cups in the cart. And then I wouldn’t have had any lunch on Friday!

So, my advice is to go to the store when you are hungry. Buy easy-to-prepare foods that appeal to you. Before you know it, packing a week’s worth of lunches will be a piece of cake.

Mmmmm, did someone say cake?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Pants and Sequined Skirts

My Baby Moved to Baltimore

Bragging Rights