The Midlife Crisis

“I’m thinking of going back to college.” We’re sitting around the dinner table when I finally voice the idea taking shape in my mind over the last few months.

Jack twirls his spaghetti into his fork and looks up. “I think Mom’s having a midlife crisis,” he says with a smirk.

Am I?

Maybe I am.

I’m not shopping for a fancy sports car (I’ve been driving like an old lady since I was sixteen), and I’m certainly not trading Paul in for a younger model (still and always the love of my life—how did I get so lucky?), but lately there’s an undercurrent of languishing lurking beneath my busy façade.

Here are some adjectives that describe me: goal-oriented, organized, detailed, creative. Those attributes have served me well, whether raising kids while working full-time, training for a marathon, or writing a book. These days, however, I often come home, eat dinner, put my pajamas on, and watch Netflix. It’s not good for me. Rather than feeling rested and rejuvenated, all this languishing leaves me exhausted. I think “midlife crisis” is a misnomer, although it’s a little catchier than “contemplative reevaluation of my purpose.” Whether it’s empty nesting, the pandemic rearranging our priorities, or a change in life’s circumstances, we all experience periods that invite us to reflect on our life’s direction. Sometimes, we have to recalibrate, like a GPS, recalculating to alter our route. And sometimes, we get to the end of a road and have no idea where to go next. The question drones in the back of my mind like a chorus of cicadas in the summer twilight, “What’s next? What’s next?” What’s the purpose of a planner without a plan?

In 1954, a farmer from Maine named Annie Wilkins had no money, no map, no family, and a prognosis of two years to live. But she also had a dream to see the Pacific Ocean. In her book The Ride of Her Life: The True Story of a Woman, Her Horse, and Their Last-Chance Journey Across America, Elizabeth Letts imagines Annie’s thought process as she considers riding her horse from Maine to California. “Should she accept the fact that she was just an old woman whose time had passed, from whom nothing surprising or new or vivid was expected?”

Wow. That’s what I want, I think as I read. Not to ride a horse across the country, but a life that’s surprising, new, and vivid. What DO I want to do? One idea I keep circling back to is my love of writing. I love the sound the pen makes, scratching scraps of ideas on a new page of my notebook. I love when I start writing in one direction, and am surprised at the turn my thoughts take, leading me somewhere unexpected. I love when the colorful shards of images come together like a kaleidoscope into vivid view. In his book, On Writing, Stephen King describes the anticipation of writing. “I remember an immense feeling of possibility at the idea,” he says, “as if I had been ushered into a vast building filled with closed doors and had been given leave to open any I liked.”

It’s time to open a new door, I decide. After debating my options, I apply to a Creative Writing program at the University of Pennsylvania.  I like the flexibility of the program, the online option, and the variety of courses available.

And then I am accepted. I have a moment of panic. What was I thinking? I’m 51 years old. Although I have a passion for it, I haven’t received any formal instruction in the craft of writing in over 30 years. I don’t need to build my resume or climb any metaphorical career ladders. I already have a master’s degree and a stable job. I can stay where I am, be comfortable for the next 11 years and retire. Do I really want to leave my couch and my comfort zone? Am I ready to trade late night scrolling for, as Penn describes it, an “intensive study of the subtleties and power of language?” Then, I remember the farmer from Maine who rode across the country on her horse. After her 16-month journey, Annie Wilkins lived until the age of 88—24 years longer than doctors predicted. Annie exemplified her personal philosophy that happiness comes from participating in the adventure of life.

Yes, sometimes life can be uncertain, challenging, and difficult. It can also be surprising, new, and vivid. So, life, (and Penn!) here I come!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Pants and Sequined Skirts

My Baby Moved to Baltimore

Chicken Nuggets and a Nap