Be Like Ted


When I was in second grade, my mom signed me up for a summer soccer camp. It did not go well. I wasn’t very fast, I couldn’t dribble the ball, and well, let’s face it: I was not interested in playing soccer. Instead, I preferred to spend my time on the field daydreaming and searching for four-leafed clovers. So, as a new school year begins, you may wonder why I’m taking my inspiration from a soccer coach.

Have you seen Ted Lasso, the show on AppleTV+? Ted Lasso is an American football coach hired to manage a British soccer team with no experience. I’ve been thinking about Ted as the new school year starts and this year, my motto is, “Be Like Ted.” Without any spoilers (just in case you haven’t seen it yet), here’s why:

1.      Ted forms relationships with his players.

Period.

Just kidding—there are six more points below. But this is number one for a reason. To teach my students effectively, I need to know their strengths and their stories. The opportunity to connect with my students is one of the reasons I love my job!

2.    Ted forms relationships with his coaching staff.

He goes out of his way to get to know everyone from his boss to the guy who cuts the grass on the pitch. Now, I’m not saying I’m going to bake my principal homemade cookies every week (sorry, Liz), or that Blanca would even let me join her on the riding mower (Wheeee! Please, Blanca?) but I am looking forward to learning more about the lives of the people who work at my school.

3.      Ted shows people how much he appreciates them.

Sometimes it’s a thoughtful gift or note. Sometimes it’s an elaborate plan. Other times he simply says, “I appreciate you.”

4.      Ted has positive intentions.

Note: I did not say he is always happy. Sometimes Ted is sad, or angry, or frustrated, and he owns these emotions as well. No matter how he feels, his goal is to be the best coach he can be.

5.      Ted encourages his players to make the extra pass.

When someone makes the extra pass, it shows they are playing for the good of the team, rather than as an individual. When more players touch the ball, team morale goes up because more players feel like they are a part of the success.

6.     Ted isn’t perfect.

He works hard, and he has his limitations. Sometimes he makes mistakes. Sometimes the soccer fans call him a “wanker.” Rather than dwell on mistakes, Ted’s philosophy is “Be a goldfish,” because goldfish have ten second memories. In other words, they don’t hold grudges or ruminate on past mistakes.

7.      Ted believes. He believes in himself. He believes in others. He believes he can make a positive impact on the world, and he believes in the positive intentions of those around him. If Ted Lasso had been my soccer coach in second grade, I may have stuck with it. 

 


"I think if you care about someone and you got a little love in your heart, there ain't nothin you can't get through together." --Ted Lasso

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Pants and Sequined Skirts

My Baby Moved to Baltimore

Chicken Nuggets and a Nap